Pursuant to a call by Deacon Robert Robinson of the Baptist Deacons of Washington, D.C., a few brothers met at the Peace Baptist Church on October 3, 1919.
After listening to an inspirational sermon by the late Rev. William D. Jarvis, DD. Pastor of the New Bethel Baptist Church, on Deaconry, Deacon Robert Robinson, acting as Chairman, proceeded to organize the Deacons into an Association.
He stated that he had been inspired by the Holy Spirit, and felt it to be “the purpose of God that men of the second highest calling should be in union for the good of the cause and that all Baptist Deacons were eligible to joint.”
An offering was taken and put in to a treasury. Meetings were scheduled to be held the 3rd Monday night in each month except August.
The following named officers were elected:
- President, Robert Robinson
- Vice President, William Powell
- Secretary, William Washington
- Asst. Secretary, O. Lucas
- Treasurer, Lewis Fitzhugh
The first incorporated Board consisted of the following; Robert Robinson, William Washington, Thorton Hams, Lewis Fitzhugh, O. Lucas, Julius Graven, James Ross, Jasper Clayton and David Powell.
The Auxiliary was organized December 17, 1923 at Israel Baptist Church, 11th & G Streets N.E. by the General Baptist Deacon’s Association of Washington and Vicinity with Deacon James Ross as President. The following officers were elected:
- Josephine Richmond, President
- Lula Leach, Vice President
- Marie Jenifer, Financial Secretary
- Naomi Woolen, Recording Secretary
- Priscilla Ross, Chaplin
- Essie Weaver, Treasurer
- Ella Washington, Chairman of the Sick Committee
The Youth Department was reorganized in January, 1972 at First Baptist Church 712 Randolph Street N.W. Washington, D.C.